|  Home  |  Grubbin' Goodness  |  Reading Nook  | 

Thursday, January 06, 2011

Raising an Independent Woman

When someone tells me I can't do something, it seriously irritates me.  I take it as a challenge.  I've never been one to follow the roles of what a woman/man should/shouldn't do just because of their gender.  Sure, there are some things I'd rather the hubby take care of, and some things I'd rather do.  But, I get my panties in a wad if I'm looked at as a weak girl who needs a man's help.  I suppose it's the bra burner in me. 

Last week I was playing one of the Super Mario games on our Wii.  I was stuck at a certain part, and my hubby asked, "Need me to do it for you?"  To which I snapped, "Hey buddy, I passed New Super Mario Bros Wii ALL BY MYSELF BEFORE YOU EVEN PASSED IT!  So NO, I DO NOT NEED YOU TO DO IT FOR ME! I'm an INDEPENDENT WOMAN!"  I may or may not have snapped my fingers and rolled my neck.  Poor guy meant no harm and I threw him some major sass, followed by hysterical laughter from both of us and Belle was there to witness the whole thing. 

For the last week being an "independent woman" has been a running joke and cause of laughter in our house.  Belle in fact told her dance teacher the story in the middle of dance class causing both her teacher and me to be in tears laughing.  As funny as it is, it's allowed me and Belle to have a lot of conversations about being an independent woman.  I'm proud that I'm raising my daughter to not let others set limits for her and to know that being a girl isn't a disability.  There is nothing she can't do if she sets her mind to it!  All my independent women, holla'!

No comments: